Feb 01, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine -- Sophie Stokes Cerkvenik tied the Maine State record in the 60-meter hurdles in a qualifier and then went on to win the title at the Maine State Women's Indoor Track and Field Championships on Friday night at Bowdoin College.
Colby's meet highlights:
* Stokes Cerkvenik, the national champion in the outdoor 100 hurdles last spring, had a time of 8.90 in the qualifying round. The next top qualifier was at 9.16. Stokes Cerkvenik then went on to win the final in a time of 9.04. Christie Woodside had a 9.67 in the qualifier for the Mules and finished seventh overall in 9.76.
* Mule first-year Sharde Johnson won a state title in her first Maine meet with a leap of 5-foot-3 in winning the high jump. Emily Larson was tied for third at 4-11 and Emma O'Hara took seventh at 4-9.
* Colby's other state title came from Margaret Bannon (pictured), Rachel Leonard, Annah Rossvall, and Stokes Cerkvenik in winning the 800 relay in 1:46.05.
* Colby first-year Jayla Moss placed second in the triple jump and led four Mules among scorers in the top eight. Moss had a fine leap of 37-5, Kaylie Vallee was fourth with a 35-2, Woodside took fifth in 35-2, and Christina Speliakos was eighth at 32-11.25.
* Taylor DePalo took third place for the Mules in the 400 dash (1:00.63), while Sonia Tremblay was fourth in the 5,000 meters (18:43.05). Woodside added a fourth in the long jump (16-11.5) and Speliakos was eighth (15-9.75).
* Sixth-place finishes went to Alexa Scher in the pole vault (10-0), Rachel Leonard in the 200 dash (26.81), and Elizabeth Marsh in the 800 meters (2:30.62).
* Bannon was seventh in the 60 dash in 8.47 (8.41 prelim) and teammate Moss took eighth in 8.50 (8.43 prelim). MJ Kievman placed seventh in the 800 (2:32.06) and Mae Sefransky was eighth in 2:32.90. The Mules also had a seventh from Meredith Griffin (5:39.08) and an eighth by Hannah Southwick (5:45.76) in the mile. Colby also received an eighth from O'Hara in the shot put (31-3.25).
* Colby finished in third place out of five teams with a score of 104.50.