Posted: Mar 05, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Bridget Horwood scored four first-half goals and Grace Langmuir added two goals and two assists in eighth-ranked Colby College's 18-2 non-conference win over University of New England on Tuesday at Bill Alfond Field.
The Mules, playing their home opener, improved to 2-0 overall just one day after moving from 19th in the national rankings to eighth.
By the numbers
* Horwood (pictured) had her four goals on four shots, added a caused turnover, and a ground ball. Langmuir also scored on her only two shots, had two draw controls, and two ground balls.
* Olivia McCabe, Hallie Schwartzman, Chiamaka Ubani, Grace Toner, and Thea Reddin all scored their first collegiate goals for the Mules.
* Ubani, Emma Banks, and Robyn Pirie all had two goals for Colby. Taylor Moore and McGara DeWan also scored.
* Anna Stowell and Nicole Corriveau scored UNE's goals.
* The Mules had a 19-5 advantage in draw controls and were 6-for-8 on free-position shots. Eliza Dean and DeWan both had four draw controls for Colby, while Reddin added three.
* Ubani led all players with four ground balls. Sydney Cooke had three for the Nor'easters.
* Colby goalies Izzy Scribano, Hannah Marino, and Emily Podgorni all played about 20 minutes and combined for four saves.
* Taylor Hopkins stopped seven shots for UNE (1-1 overall).
* Horwood and Langmuir scored unassisted goals in the first 3:15 of the game to give Colby a 2-0 lead.
* Corriveau tallied from Keara Dwyer with 26:09 remaining to cut the lead to 2-1.
* Schwartzman and Langmuir followed with free-position scores to push the lead to 4-1. The Mules kept the offense going with seven more goals to take an 11-1 lead at halftime.
* The Mules scored the first three goals of the second half before UNE's Stowell scored with 20:42 remaining from Nichole Carvalho.
* Colby will entertain Hamilton College at noon Saturday in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game.
* The Nor'easters play at Bridgewater State at 1 p.m. Saturday.