Posted: Apr 21, 2018
HARTFORD, Conn. -- The 16th-ranked Colby College women's lacrosse team heads to the final regular season game of the year after falling 11-9 to 11th-ranked Trinity College in a rematch of last year's NESCAC championship game.
The Mules (8-6 overall, 3-6 NESCAC) took a 13-9 win over the Bantams at Middlebury College in last year's NESCAC title game.
Colby is aiming to make the NESCAC playoffs heading into Wednesday's regular season finale at Bates College at 5:30 p.m. The Mules and Hamilton are both 3-6, while Bates and Williams are each 2-7 in a battle for the final two spots in the playoffs. Hamilton plays at Middlebury on Sunday and Williams will play host to Middlebury on Wednesday.
By the numbers
* Colby's Sasha Fritts finished with four goals and has her season totals up to 46 goals and three assists for 49 points.
* Grace Langmuir added two goals and one assist, while Kendall Smith had two goals. Taylor Moore had the other score for the Mules.
* Melinda Edie led Colby's defense with three caused turnovers and four ground balls. Maddie Hatch (pictured) added three caused turnovers, two ground balls, and two draw controls. McGara DeWan had four draw controls, while Shannon Groskoph, Smith, and Fritts all had two caused turnovers.
* Kiley Coffey led Trinity with six goals on six shots.
* The Bantams darted out to a 4-0 lead and still led 7-4 at halftime.
* After Trinty scored the first goal of the second half, the Mules roared back with five straight goals to take a 9-8 lead. Langmuir, Moore, and Smith all scored on free-positions. Fritts added the other two goals.
* The Bantams, though, settled down and scored three straight goals in a span of 1:44 to take an 11-9 lead. No team scored a goal in the final 15:10.
Photos by Ashley Conti