Mar 19, 2018
BIDDEFORD, Maine -- Lyla Jones scored her first three collegiate goals and McGara DeWan also had three goals for the 19th-ranked Colby College women's lacrosse team in an easy 16-4 win over University of New England on Monday.
The Mules are 2-3 overall heading into Friday's NESCAC home game with Connecticut College at 3:30 p.m.
By the numbers
* DeWan had a huge game with her three goals, five draw controls, five ground balls, and two caused turnovers. Jones added one assist, scored all three of her goals on free-position shots, and had two ground balls.
* Shannon Groskoph, Amelia Lubrano, and Ellie Hedison also scored their first collegiate goals for the Mules. Groskoph added three draw controls, Lubrano had her first collegiate assist, and Hedison had two ground balls.
* Emma Banks (pictured) had two goals and two ground balls for Colby. Bridget Horwood, Kelsey Bowen, Robyn Pirie, and Banks Dotson also scored goals. Bowen tied DeWan for a game-high five draw controls.
* The Mules had a 41-16 margin in shots and were 16-for-21 on draws.
* Colby goalie Hannah Marino earned her first collegiate victory with seven saves.
* The Mules, resting a number of their starters, received fine performances from a number of players in opening up an 8-0 halftime lead.
* The Nor'easters (3-3) cut the lead to 10-3 about five minutes into the second half. However, the Mules scored the next five goals in a span of about six minutes to pull away.