Feb 15, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College senior Lucy Dembeck, playing in her final two regular season women's hockey games, scored a pair of goals in the Mules' 7-4 win over Saint Anselm College on Friday at Alfond Rink.
Colby ended the Hawks' 11-game winning streak in improving to 12-8-3 overall and 4-0-3 in non-conference games. Saint Anselm dropped to 22-3-1. The two teams meet again Saturday at 11 a.m.
* The Mules never trailed in the game, opening a 2-0 lead in the first 7:41 of the contest. Carly Thomas won a face-off directly to Dembeck for a quick wrist shot score at 2:43.
* McKinley Karpa, playing in her first home game as a Mule, scored off a backhand shot after Aimely Michaud-Nolan's shot from the point was deflected right to Karpa at 7:41.
* The Hawks made it 2-1 after one period when Amanda Nylander scored her seventh of the season on a one-timer after she received a one-timer pass from Kendra Currier. Kaley Campbell also had an assist on the play.
* In the second period, the Hawks tied the game at 2-2 on Katy Meehan's 13th of the season. She intercepted a clearing pass and immediately shot on goal.
* The Mules went up 3-2 after two periods when Moira Mullaney scored from Tay Munson at 14:45. After taking a short pass from Munson, Mullaney raced down the ice on a three-on-one with Karpa and Thomas. Mullaney elected to shoot and got her second of the season.
* Karpa scored her second of the game at 5:23 of the third period to start an onslaught of goals. Munson pushed a pass over to Tegtmeyer, who ripped a shot from way out. The rebound went directly to Karpa on the right post.
* Tegtmeyer came over the blue line hard with the puck and took out two Saint Anselm players as she dropped the puck back to Cassidy Holzer (pictured), who smacked a wrist shot for a 5-2 lead. Elizabeth Brashich also had an assist.
* The Hawks scored on the power play at 13:08 to cut the margin to 5-3. Gabby Monaco's shot from the left post was hammered in by Kelly Golini at the right post. Meehan also had an assist.
* Dembeck tallied from Michaud-Nolan and Natalie Maus with 4:45 to play for a 6-3 lead. Michaud-Nolan flicked a pass in front and had the puck deflect directly to Dembeck in front. Natalie Maus had her first assist of the year.
* The Hawks refused to give up and cut the lead back to two goals at 6-4 with 3:08 remaining. Campbell pushed a pass to the right to Jayden Young, who hit a shot off the post and in.
* Colby sealed the win on Anna Cosentino's empty net goal at 18:21. She made a steal on a Hawk defender and backhanded the puck in the net.
By the numbers
* Colby goalie Nina Prunster made 26 saves in improving her record to 6-2-1 this season.
* Michaela Kane got the start for the Hawks and stopped 24 shots.
* The Mules had a 45-22 advantage in face-offs. Tess Dupre won 12 of her 15 draws and Thomas was 12-for-18.
* Colby had a season-high for goals. The Mules scored eight goals against Post last year.