Posted: Nov 17, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Tay Munson, Lexi Cafiero, and Aimely Michaud-Nolan all had goals and Cierra San Roman had 26 saves for the Colby College women's hockey team in a 3-1 victory over rival Bowdoin College on Saturday night at Alfond Rink.
The two teams will play again Sunday at 3 p.m. at Bowdoin.
* The Mules used terrific pressure to keep the puck in the Polar Bears' zone for more than 30 seconds on Colby's first goal at 17:50 of the second period. First-year Colleen Donoghue twice kept the puck in the zone, while pressure by Cassidy Holzer and Elizabeth Brashich directly led to the goal. A Bowdoin defender kicked the puck out of the corner, but Munson raced in to retrieve the puck, made a nice move to elude a defender, and the went high to the left corner on the score.
* The Mules (1-0 overall, 1-0 NESCAC) had an all first-year goal for a 2-0 lead just 37 seconds into the final period. Sadie Kuhn rushed from her own end and came in toward the left post. Kuhn saw Cafiero rushing in and pushed a pass to her for the score.
* The Polar Bears cut the lead to 2-1 with 9:30 remaining on a power play goal. Nell Fusco did a nice job of keeping the puck in the zone on an attempted clear by the Mules. Fusco then ripped a shot from the right point that was redirected in by Izzi Stoddard in front.
* Colby got the insurance goal it would need at 13:22 for a 3-1 margin. Hailey Rohall pushed a pass up the right boards where Moira Mullaney won a race to the puck and came in on a two-on-one with sophomore Aimely Michaud-Nolan, who buried a low shot after a nice pass from Mullaney. Michaud-Nolan, a transfer from Union College, also had her first goal in a Colby uniform.
By the numbers
* The Polar Bears (0-1 overall, 0-1 NESCAC) put on a lot of pressure in the third period, but San Roman stopped 10 shots and had a number of difficult saves.
* Kerri St. Denis stopped 20 shots for the Polar Bears, who had an 11-4 shot advantage in the final 20 minutes.