Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's basketball falls in tight league game with Camels

WATERVILLE, Maine -- In a battle to make the New England Small College Athletic Conference playoffs, Colby College missed on a drive to the basket with two seconds left as Connecticut College held on for a 67-65 victory Saturday.
The game was close from the opening minutes until the final shot, with three of the four quarters decided by one point. 
The Camels improve to 13-10 overall and 4-6 in the league, while Colby ends the season at 10-14 and 2-8 in the conference.
By the numbers
* Ainsley Burns had a game-high 23 points on 10-for-19 shooting and added five rebounds while playing all 40 minutes for Colby. 
* Sarah Hancock, playing in her final game for the Mules, had 13 points and five rebounds. Fellow senior Katie McCrum added eight points, four assists, and four rebounds. Jackie Albanese (pictured), who had three assists and five points, also played her final game. They were honored before the game with senior Emily Davis, who has been injured.
* Sami Ashton scored 21 of her 22 points in the first half. She was 9-for-18 from the field, had six rebounds, and two steals for Conn College.
* Margaret Corcoran had 15 points and eight rebounds to go along with three blocked shots. Kylie Caouette finished with eight points, while Ashley Howe had six points and six rebounds. 
Game highlights
* While Ashton had a huge first half for the Camels, Colby still led 22-21 after the first quarter. Conn College took  a 37-35 halftime lead. 
* The Camels held a 57-54 margin when Hancock drained back-to-back 3-point shots for a 60-57 lead. The Mules held their last lead of the game at 64-62 when Hancock scored with 3:58 to play. 
* Caouette went 2-for-2 from the foul line with 2:45 to play to give the Camels the lead for good at 65-64. Ashton scored her first point of the second half on a free throw with 1:54 remaining to make it 66-64. 
* Hancock hit a free throw with 46 seconds left to cut the lead to 66-65. The Mules were able to get the ball back with a chance to win. After a timeout, Colby just missed on a driving layup. Corcoran made one free throw with 0.7 seconds left for the final point of the game. 
* Colby did have a final chance with  0.4 seconds remaining. Taking the ball out near their own bench, a final pass toward the basket was broken up.