Posted: Dec 06, 2018
STANDISH, Maine -- The Colby College women's basketball team trailed by just six points midway through the fourth quarter against 16th-ranked St. Joseph's College, but the Monks were able to pull away for a 73-58 non-conference win Thursday.
The Mules are 4-3 overall, with two of the three losses coming against teams ranked one and 16.
By the numbers
* Ainsley Burns led Colby with 18 points, five rebounds, three assists, two steals, and two blocked shots. Keagan Dunbar added 12 points, four rebounds, and four assists.
* Jackie Albanese hit two of her four 3-point shots on the way to eight points for the Mules. Grace Coutu (pictured) added six points and seven rebounds, Paige Russell also had six points, and Sarah Hancock dished five assists.
* Emily Benway had a game-high 28 points and 10 rebounds for St. Joseph's (8-0 overall). Kelsi McNamara added 16 points and six assists.
* The Mules came out strong and received five points and two assists from Dunbar in the opening quarter to take a 16-15 lead.
* The Monks went into halftime with a 33-29 margin after Benway scored eight points in the second quarter.
* St. Joseph's extended the lead to eight points after three quarters, despite Burns putting up nine of Colby's 14 points in the quarter.
* The Mules trailed just 43-37 with less than five minutes remaining, but Benway went 4-for-4 from the foul line and had 10 points in the quarter.
* The Mules play at Rivier at 1 p.m. Saturday.