Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's basketball dominates overtime period to hold off USM

WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College women's basketball team scored all nine of the points in overtime after University of Southern Maine had a nice comeback in regulation in the Mules' 72-63 non-conference win Tuesday.
The Mules improve to 8-11 overall, while the  Huskies drop to 12-7.
By the numbers
* Ainsley Burns had a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. She hit three 3-point shots and blocked three shots. Meanwhile, Keagan Dunbar also had 17 points, with 13 coming in the first half.
* Grace Coutu (pictured) also finished with a double-double at 11 points on 5-for-6 shooting and 10 rebounds. The Mules also received 10 rebounds from Jane MacKerron, while Paige Russell had 11 points, seven rebounds, and four assists. Sarah Hancock scored seven points and dished three assists.
* Victoria Harris had a game-high 18 points for the Huskies and added eight rebounds. She was 6-for-7 from the foul line. 
* Kristen Curley had seven points, a game-high four steals, and had three blocked shots. Alexa Srolovitz had seven points and three assists, Jackie Luckhardt pulled down seven rebounds, and Katie Howe and Michelle Rowe both had six points for the Huskies.
* The Mules held USM to just 28.2 percent shooting, but the Huskies stayed in the game by committing just nine turnovers and forcing 23.
* Colby had a 56-46 rebounding advantage. The Huskies had 16 steals.
Game highlights
* The Mules shot about 50 percent from the field in the first half and led 40-28 at halftime. Burns joined Dunbar with 13 points in the opening two quarters.
* The Huskies went to a full-court press in the second half and the game totally changed around. 
* The Mules led 55-45 when Coutu made a layup with 8:54 remaining in regulation. However, the Huskies used a 12-2 run to knot the game at 57-57. 
* With the score tied at 59, Russell hit a big 3-point shot for Colby with 1:51 to play. Harris, though, added two free throws with 1:38 left to cut the margin to 62-61. Hancock hit 1-of-2 from the line with 12 seconds to play to make it 63-61.
* The ball was knocked out of bounds under USM's basket with just 0.7 seconds remaining. However, Colby was called for a foul as the buzzer sounded. With the court cleared, Curley was clutch with two free throws to force overtime.
* Coutu ended up with the eventual game-winning basket to give the Mules a 65-63 lead. Hancock, Burns, and Russell all went 2-for-2 from the foul line to help the Mules pull away. The Huskies went 0-for-9 from the field and 0-of-4 from the foul line in the extra session.
Next up
* Colby is at Williams College on Friday at 7 p.m.