Posted: Nov 28, 2018
BANGOR, Maine -- Paige Russell hit a 3-point shot at the second overtime buzzer and Ainsley Burns led all Colby College scorers with 24 points in a wild 85-78 triple overtime victory over Husson University in non-conference women's basketball Wednesday night.
The Mules improve to 3-1 overall, while Husson falls to 1-2.
By the numbers
* Burns (pictured) also had three assists. Keagan Dunbar (22 points, 10 rebounds), and Emily Davis (10 points, 12 rebounds) both had double-doubles for the Mules. Dunbar, the Maine rookie of the week the past two weeks, also had five assists and hit five 3-point shots.
* Russell was 6-for-6 from the foul line and finished with nine points, nine rebounds, and three assists. Grace Coutu had three of her nine rebounds in the third overtime and added seven points for Colby. Katie McCrum had a game-high seven assists.
* Kenzie Worcester led the Eagles with 29 points, eight rebounds, and six assists.
* With four players with nine rebounds or more, Colby had a dominating 56-38 advantage on the boards. The Mules had three straight offensive rebounds in the third overtime with the lead and attempting to take time off the clock.
* Husson looked like it would pull out the game in the second overtime when Megan Peach hit two free throws for a 71-68 lead with just 6.8 seconds left. However, Colby quickly pushed the ball up the court and Russell hit her 3-point shot from the left wing at the buzzer.
* The Mules quickly took control in the third overtime and went up 78-73 when Dunbar nailed a three with 3:03 remaining.
* Colby forced overtime when Dunbar hit a 3-point shot from the right wing with 8.5 seconds left to tie the game at 55-55.
* Peach hit a jumper with 21.5 seconds remaining to tie the game at 61-61 in the first overtime. Russell hit two free throws with 6.7 seconds left for Colby, but the Eagles tied the game at 63 with two free throws of their own with 2.8 to play.
Colby plays its home opener Saturday at 2 p.m. against Bowdoin College.