Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Mules battle conditions, end in tie with UNE

Biddeford, Maine - The Colby College Men's Soccer team traveled to the University of New Englad for its final non-conference match of the regular season.  After a full 90 minutes plus two overtimes, the Nor'easters and Mules tied 2-2. 

Colby out-shot the host team 23-14 placing 13 on net (to 6 for UNE).  The Mules held pressure for most of the contest, including taking a 4-0 advantage in corner opportunities in the first half.  Despite the statistics, it was UNE who struck first.  Callum Heaslewood is second in the Commonwealth Coast Conference in goals and points, and he scored his first of the game at the 34 minute mark unssisted.  

Colby answered back nearly 10 minutes later when Jared Wood (photo) knocked one past the keeper in the lower right off a pass from Jack Moore.  

In the second half, UNE was awarded a penalty kick at the 51 minute mark, and Heaslewood made good on his second goal of the game.  Colby was able to answer back less than two minutes later on a goal by Dexter Kalderon, assisted by Conor Larkin

From that point on, Colby continued to press the UNE end and took 10 shots to UNE's one.  The defensive style of play that UNE performed made it clear that they were intent on securing the tie.  It also played well with the conditions.  While the Nor'easters settled back and kept their feet under them, Colby was pressing and found the playing surface too slippery and loose from recent rain to make good on any of their aggressive opportunities, constantly slipping and hitting the ground.  The best scoring opportunity came with one minute remaining in the first overtime as Colby leading scorer Ethan Fabricant took a pass with space in the center of the box and struck a hard liner right into the chest of UNE goal keeper Will Shearon (11 saves). 

The teams played through a stalemate for two overtimes, and Colby draws its record to 5-4-2 while UNE moves to 6-4-2.  

(photo courtesy of Calvin Wetmore '20)