Posted: Oct 16, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Asa Berolzheimer scored 9:21 into the second half to give Colby College a two-goal margin and the Mules held on for a 2-1 non-conference men's soccer win over University of Massachusetts at Boston on Tuesday.
The Mules improve to 6-5-2 overall and the Beacons drop to 6-9-2.
* Wyett MacDonald's hustle set up the first goal for the Mules. The Beacons took a free kick out of their own penalty area that was a 50-50 ball between MacDonald and a UMass-Boston player. MacDonald went harder to win the ball, dribbled for about 10 yards, and then pushed a pass to Lucas Pereira (pictured) on the right side. Pereira beat a defender toward the right post and had his cross deflect off a Beacon defender for the score.
* Colby made it 2-0 on one of the best passing sequences of the season. From the other side of midfield, the Mules made six passes on the goal by Asa Berolzheimer at 54:21. Colby had quick passes until Jeff Rosenberg found some dribbling space and pushed a ball past a defender and to Berolzheimer for the goal.
* The Beacons cut the margin in half when Nelson Cardoso was given too much space and his left-footed shot was headed in by Christopher Garcia at 74:22.
By the numbers
* Both teams had 11 shots and six corner kicks. The Beacons had 13 fouls, including seven in the second half.
* Dan Carlson had one save in the opening half and Matt Morin stopped one shot in the second half for the Mules. Omar Castro-Dreher made three saves for the Beacons.
* The Mules play host to Hamilton College in a NESCAC game Saturday at 1:30 p.m. The Mules will honor their seniors.
* The Beacons play at Rhode Island College on Saturday at 1 p.m.