Posted: Mar 05, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College men's lacrosse team broke a team record for goals in a game and had 10 players with two goals or more in a 28-0 victory over Thomas College on Tuesday at Harold Alfond Stadium.
Colby (1-1 overall) and Thomas were playing for the first time. The Terriers were playing their season opener.
By the numbers
* Colby's 28 goals broke the old team record of 27 set in 2016 against Maine Maritime Academy.
* First-year Michael Minard had his first two collegiate goals and collected a game-high four assists for the Mules.
* Bill Jacobs finished with four goals, while Max Cushman and Lane Kadish both had three goals and two assists. First-year Beck French added three goals and one assist, first-year Jack Rickards had three goals, Carter Vickers and Riley Bergstrom each had two goals and one assist, and Carlos Beason had one score and dished two assists.
* Noah Froio and CJ Hassan both had two goals for the Mules. Bret Miller had one goal and one assist. Charlie Lynch finished with two assists.
* The Mules were 27-for-29 on face-off attempts, with Joe Paolatto winning all 13 of his draws. Jung Shin was 14-for-16 and scooped a game-high eight ground balls.
* Jake Kirby and Jack Marschke both had two caused turnovers.
* Cooper Giblin and Billy Chizmar each played 30 minutes to earn the shutout and combined for one save.
* Damon Westhaver stopped 15 shots for the Terriers.
* The Mules had 23 shots in the first quarter in taking a 12-0 lead. Colby added nine more goals in the second quarter to go up 21-0 at halftime.
* Colby plays a NESCAC game at Hamilton College at 1 p.m. Saturday.
* Thomas plays at Dean College at 3:30 p.m. Friday.