Mar 03, 2018
AMHERST, Mass. -- Colby College's C.J. Hassan and Mason Brady both had three points on the day, but 12th-ranked Amherst College had a big second quarter on the way to a 22-7 win in the NESCAC and season opener for both teams Saturday.
The Mules will have their home opener next Saturday at 1 p.m. against Hamilton College on Seaverns Field at Harold Alfond Stadium.
By the numbers
* Hassan finished with two goals and one assist, while Brady (pictured) had one goal and two assists.
* Tucker Dietrick had two goals for the Mules. Don Vivian and Yuta Murata had the other goals.
* Colin Minicus led the Mammoths with five goals and four assists.
* Brad McCarthy had three ground balls and two caused turnovers for Colby. Hassan, Joe Paolatto, Murata, and Charlie Lynch all had two ground balls.
* Colby did well in man-up situations, scoring four times in 10 chances.
* The Mammoths scored the first three goals of the game, but Tucker Dietrick scored off the first collegiate assist for Billy Jacobs with 1:33 left in the opening quarter.
* Amherst had eight goals in the second quarter to take an 11-4 halftime margin. Hassan and Dietrick scored man-up goals and Vivian scored with 15 seconds remaining.
* Hassan had an unassisted goal and Brady tallied on the man-up in the third quarter. Colby's final goal came from Murata with 4:31 left in the game.
* Colby goaltender C.J. Layton stopped 13 shots.