Mar 24, 2018
NEW LONDON, Conn. -- The Colby College men's lacrosse team scored three goals in the fourth quarter and kept Connecticut College scoreless, but the 20th-ranked Camels managed to hold on for an 11-10 win in NESCAC play Saturday.
The Mules (2-3 overall, 1-3 NESCAC) gave the Camels (6-1, 3-1 NESCAC), ranked fourth in New England, all it could handle for 60 minutes.
By the numbers
* C.J. Hassan had three goals and one assist, while Colby teammate Tucker Dietrick added two goals and two assists.
* Charlie Lynch and Riley Bergstrom both had one goal and one assist for the Mules. Yuta Murata, Carter Vickers, and Don Vivian also scored.
* PJ Kelleher had two goals and four assists for the Camels.
* Graham Lian had a big game on defense for the Mules, causing four turnovers and scooping four ground balls. Michael McHale, Vivian, Joe Paolatto, and John Pappas all had two ground balls and one caused turnover.
* Colby goaltender C.J. Layton finished with nine saves, while Camel keeper Jameson Hill stopped five shots.
* The Camels took a 9-5 lead into halftime, but the Mules held the home team to just two goals in the final 30 minutes.
* Vickers scored from Mason Brady (pictured) with 6:23 left in the third quarter to cut the lead to 10-6. Unfortunately for the Mules, Ben Parens scored just eight seconds later after winning a face-off for the Camels' final goal.
* The game was all Colby in the final 18:05 of the contest. Dietrick tallied with 3:05 left in the third quarter from Brady. Hassan scored on the man-up with 5:43 left in the game and then added an assist on Vivian's goal with 2:08 to play. Hassan had his third point of the quarter on another man-up goal with 1:05 to play.
Colby will play three straight home games starting with Tuesday's 6 p.m.contest with University of New England. The Mules entertain eighth-ranked Wesleyan University next Saturday at 1 p.m.