Posted: Mar 10, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Mason Brady scored two goals in a span of 16 seconds to break an 8-8 tie and Colby College's defense did the rest in a 10-8 victory over Hamilton College in NESCAC men's lacrosse Saturday at Harold Alfond Stadium.
The Mules improve to 1-1 overall and 1-1 in the league, while the Continentals fall to 1-2 and 0-2 in the conference.
"Our guys won this game by how hard they worked this week after such a tough opener last weekend," said Guy Van Arsdale, Colby's Jack Sandler Memorial Men's Lacrosse Head Coach. "We played with a great deal of passion and at the end showed a great deal of poise on both ends of the field."
By the numbers
* Brady finished with two goals and one assist to improve his season totals to three goals and three assists. C.J. Hassan finished with two goals and one assist for the second straight week, while Don Vivian also had three points with one goal and two assists.
* Tucker Dietrick had a pair of goals for the second straight game for the Mules. Sam Friedman, Nick Percarpio, and Billy Jacobs all had their first collegiate goals in the win.
* Chad Morse led all players with two goals and three assists for the Continentals. Henry Hill added one goal and two assists, while Chris Conley scored twice. Clay McCollum, Zach Larsen, and Henry Hunt added goals.
* John Pappas led Colby's defense with two caused turnovers and two ground balls. Hassan and Brad McCarthy both had two caused turnovers and one ground ball.
* Larsen had two caused turnovers and two ground balls for the Continentals. Andrej Bogdanovics also had two caused turnovers and added one ground ball. James Sanderson had four ground balls.
* Hamilton's Eric Zurmuehle was 14-for-22 on face-offs and had seven ground balls.
* Colby goaltender C.J. Layton had six of his 13 saves in the fourth quarter. Kyle Gately stopped 11 shots for Hamilton.
* The Mules were ready to play and scored six goals in the first quarter. The Mules opened up a 4-0 lead in a span of less than four minutes on goals by Hassan, Vivian, Percarpio, and Jacobs. Charlie Lynch (pictured) had his first collegiate assist on Percarpio's score.
* Hill scored with 5:55 remaining in the quarter to make it 4-1, but Dietrick and Friedman each tallied in the final 4:03.
* The Continentals kept the Mules scoreless in the second quarter and made it a 6-4 game at halftime. McCollum, Morse, and Conley had goals for Hamilton.
* Hamilton tied the game at 6-6 in the first five minutes of the third quarter, but the Mules showed some poise with the next two goals by Dietrick and Hassan for an 8-6 margin.
* Heading into the fourth quarter, the Continentals tied the game at 8-8 on goals by Hunt and Morse just 1:08 apart.
* Brad took over with an unassisted goal with 9:28 remaining and then the final goal of the game from the first collegiate assist by Riley Bergstrom with 9:12 left.