Posted: Feb 02, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College's Thomas Stahlhuth scored with 15.5 seconds left in regulation to force overtime and the Mules played to a 2-2 tie with Amherst College at Alfond Rink on Saturday.
Colby is 8-8-4 overall and 5-6-3 in the league, while the Mammoths are 9-6-4 and 6-4-4 in the conference.
* Amherst was called for icing with 28.7 seconds remaining in the third period and then used its timeout. The Mammoths won the face-off, but Colby's Brian Sanzone won the puck and got it back to Stahlhuth (pictured). Colby's co-captain pushed the puck over to Michael Thomas and he gave it right back to Stahlhuth for the blast. The puck appeared to hit off an Amherst player and went into the upper right corner.
* The Mules took a 1-0 lead at 13:31 of the first period on another blast by Stahlhuth on the power play. Nick O'Connor pushed a pass to Logan Clarke on the right side and he immediately found Stahlhuth for the long shot and his sixth of the year.
* Amherst tied the game at 1-1 at 16:32 of the opening period on Sean Wrenn's goal. A.J. Klein pushed a pass to Pieter von Steinbergs, who did a nice piece of skating and wristed a shot on goal. The save was made by Colby goalie Andrew Tucci, but Wrenn was there for the rebound.
* The Mammoths took a 2-1 lead just 1:09 later when Joey Lupo's long pass out his own zone found Jack Fitzgerald in stride at the red line. Fitzgerald skated in on the left side and had a wrist shot for the score.
By the numbers
* Tucci, who took a 4-1 win over Hamilton on Friday, had 32 saves for the Mules.
* Giancarlo Ventre stopped 27 shots for the Mammoths, who had a 34-29 shot advantage.