Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's hockey wins again, unbeaten in seven straight

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Colby College pushed its unbeaten streak to seven straight games and won for the fourth time in a row by holding on for a 4-3 victory at Saint Anselm College on Monday in non-conference play.

The Mules are 5-2-2 overall, while the Hawks drop to 7-8. Colby took a 2-0 home win over Saint Anselm back on December 4. 
Game highlights
* The Mules never trailed in the game, but Saint Anselm was able to fight to stay in the contest. Colby scored first with speed and transition at 5:05 of the opening period. Logan Clarke pushed a quick pass up to Justin Grillo, who took a few strides and found O'Connor flying down the right side. O'Connor blew past a defenseman and scored from in front.
* The Hawks tied it just 50 seconds into the second period and stopped Colby's scoreless streak. Mule goaltender Andrew Tucci and his defense went 211 minutes, 29 seconds without allowing a goal. Colby last gave up a score against Bowdoin on December 1 and then posted three straight shutouts against the Hawks, Tufts University, and Connecticut College.
* The Mules scored two goals in a span of 1:04 of the second period to go up 3-1, both coming on first collegiate goals by Robert Cerepak (pictured) and Quinn Doyle. Colby's Paddy Daley was back checking on a Saint Anselm player near the right corner and forced the defender to push a pass up the boards. The puck bounced off a Saint Anselm player and went directly to Cerepak, who wound up and ripped a shot for the goal.  
* Doyle was in the right spot for his first Colby goal at 10:21 of the second period. Cerepak dished a pass back to Michael Thomas at the left point. Thomas ripped a shot and the rebound went directly to Doyle at the left post.
* After a power play goal by the Hawks with just 59 seconds left in the second period, Colby pushed the lead back to two goals when O'Connor scored at 2:32 of the third period on the power play. Thomas pushed a pass across to co-captain Thomas Stahlhuth, who blasted a shot that was saved by goaltender Colin Soucy. With the extra man, O'Connor was alone in front and was able to score on the rebound.
* The Hawks scored with 11:41 left in the game to cut the margin to 4-3. O'Connor missed a chance for the hat trick when Soucy made a nice save on a breakaway attempt with 3:35 to go. The Mules did a great job of keeping the puck in the Saint Anselm zone in the final two minutes of the game, even forcing an icing call with 27.8 seconds to play.
By the numbers
* Tucci finished with 24 saves, while Soucy stopped 32 shots.
* The Mules were 1-for-3 on the power play and the Hawks scored on their lone chance.
Next up
* Colby returns to NESCAC play with the long road trip to Hamilton College for a 7 p.m. game Friday. The Mules play at Amherst College at 3 p.m. Saturday.