Posted: Nov 24, 2018
BRUNSWICK, Maine -- Nick O'Connor scored his second of two goals with 1:54 left in overtime and Michael Morrissey scored his first two collegiate goals in Colby College's 4-3 come-from-behind win over Potsdam State on Saturday at Bowdoin College.
The two teams were playing the first game of the Bowdoin/Colby Face-Off Classic. The Polar Bears and Wentworth play in the second game Saturday. Colby (1-2 overall) takes on Wentworth at 4 p.m. Sunday at Alfond Rink. Potsdam and Bowdoin meet in the first game Sunday at Colby in a 1 p.m. start.
* After battling back from 2-0 and 3-1 deficits, O'Connor defected the puck for the score at 3:06 of overtime after a shot from the point from Billy Overby.
* Potsdam (4-4 overall) scored on the power play at 7:13 of the second period to go up 3-1.
* The Mules, though, quickly tied the game on two goals in a span of 26 seconds at 8:40 and 9:06. O'Connor poked the puck under pads of goalie Nate Skidmore on the power play off assists from Justin Grillo and Michael Thomas. Morrissey scored his second of the game from John Rourke (pictured) on a wrist shot for the tie.
* The Bears scored 2:37 into the opening period and added another goal at 4:47 for a quick 2-0 lead. The Mules received an important score from Morrissey, who had his first collegiate goal on a nice skate-and-pass sequence from Rourke.
By the numbers
* Colby goaltender Andrew Tucci and Skidmore both had 24 saves. Tucci had 10 saves in the opening period.
* O'Connor is Colby's leading active scorer with 26 goals and 27 assists for 53 points.
* The Mules had a 28-27 shot advantage, including a 3-1 margin in overtime.