Nov 17, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College first-year Logan Clarke had his first collegiate goal and assist, but Williams College fought back from a 3-1 deficit for a 4-3 NESCAC men's hockey victory Saturday at Alfond Rink.
Marcus Mollica scored his second goal of the game with 8:55 to play for the Ephs' winning score.
Williams, a winner over Bowdoin College on Friday, improves to 2-0. The Mules, the defending NESCAC champions, drop to 0-2.
* Mollica scored the opening goal of the game on the power play at 11:17 of the first period. The Ephs had fine puck movement with the extra man. Robert Cellini pushed a pass to the left post to Niko Karamis, who one-timed a cross to Mollica standing alone at the right post.
* The Mules scored three straight goals to take the lead. Justin Grillo deflected in a long shot from first-year Michael Thomas (pictured) from the right point. Nick O'Connor had the other assist on the play.
* Colby went up 2-1 just 1:47 into the second period on J.P. Schuhlen's first of the season. Schuchlen scored from a tough angle near the left post after taking a pass from Logan Clarke, who had his first collegiate assist. Thomas Stahlhuth also had an assist.
* Clarke scored his first of his career when he took a pass in front from Schuhlen. Clarke took a brief moment to make the goaltender commit before he rifled the puck in the net. O'Connor had his second assist of the game.
* Williams cut the margin to 3-2 after two periods when Jack McCool scored with 5:48 remaining. McCool was given too much space as he came over the blue line and ripped a wrist shot into the upper right corner.
* Cellini tied the game at 3-3 just 39 seconds into the third period with some nice hustle. He won a puck in the right corner and quickly stick-handled out in front for the score.
* The Ephs used the power play again to get the game-winning goal. Mollica was straight on with his blast from the point. Cellini and Tyler Scott added assists.
By the numbers
* Michael Pinios stopped 20 shots for the Ephs, while Andrew Tucci made 25 saves for Colby.
* The Ephs had just one penalty in the game.