Posted: Jan 05, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Despite a game-high 25 points from Colby College's Matt Hanna, Bates College shot 64.7 percent from 3-point range on the way to an 81-71 victory over Colby College in NESCAC men's basketball Saturday.
The Mules drop to 9-3 overall and 1-1 in the NESCAC, while Bates moves to 3-10 overall and 1-1 in the league.
By the numbers
* Colby went into Saturday as the top 3-point shooting team in the NESCAC and still rank second at 40.6 percent. Bates had struggled from long range and currently ranks 10th at 32.7 percent
* The Bobcats were 11-for-17 on three-pointers, while the Mules were just 10-of-35 (28.6 percent).
* Jeff Spellman led Bates with 15 points, eight rebounds, two assists, and two steals. Kody Greenhalgh also had 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting from the field and 4-of-5 from long range. Tom Coyne came off the bench and also had 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting.
* Nick Gilpin chipped in 14 points and had four assists to go with three steals for the Bobcats. Max Hummel added nine points and Nick Lynch scored eight and pulled down six rebounds.
* Hanna (pictured) was 10-for-15 shooting from the field and 5-of-8 from 3-point range. Sam Jefferson added 12 points, five rebounds, and four assists.
* Noah Tyson scored 10 points, pulled down eight rebounds, and had two assists for the Mules. Wallace Tucker scored seven points.
* Colby held a 10-9 lead in the opening half, but the Bobcats used a 9-0 run to go up 18-10 and never trailed from that point.
* With the score 36-25, Greenhalgh and Coyne nailed 3-point shots for a 42-27 margin. The Bobcats took a 48-37 lead into halftime.
* Bates led 54-44 when the Mules used a 10-0 run capped off by a 3-point shot by Hanna to tie the score at 54. With the Bobcats up 62-60, Bates went on a 6-0 run for a 68-60 margin and pushed the lead to double digits.
* Colby entertains University of Maine at Farmington at 7 p.m. Tuesday.