Posted: Jan 22, 2019
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Ty Williams hit a running 3-point bank shot at the buzzer for the Colby College men's basketball team in a thrilling 101-98 victory against Husson University on Tuesday at Wadsworth Gymnasium.
Williams (pictured) is getting to be known for his last second shots at home. In his first collegiate game two years ago, Williams hit a 3-point shot from the left corner to beat Pine Manor at the buzzer.
By the numbers
* Colby's Sam Jefferson led all scorers with 29 points on 10-for-19 from the field, 7-of-12 from 3-point range, and 2-for-2 from the foul line.
* Matt Hanna was 5-of-9 from long range on the way to 19 points, six rebounds, and four assists for the Mules (13-5 overall). Wallace Tucker added 17 points and three assists, Alex Dorion finished with 13 points and three assists, and Noah Tyson had a team-high six assists. Williams scored seven points and had five assists.
* Husson (10-7) was led by a terrific game from Justin Martin, who had 22 points, 19 rebounds, and three assists.
* DJ Bussey was 5-of-6 from 3-point range for 21 points, while Justin Thompson had 14 points and eight rebounds off the bench. Justice Kendall had a game-high nine assists to go with 12 points, Corey Kaiser added 11 points, and Brett Cunningham scored 10.
* Both teams had 26 assists on 39 made field goals. Husson had a slight edge in made free throws (9-5), but the Mules had 18 3-point shots to the Eagles' 11.
* Husson shot 51.3 percent from the field and 50 percent (11-for-22) from long range. The Mules shot 52 percent from the field while making 18 of their 39 3-point shots (46.2 percent).
* The Eagles had big 49-30 rebounding (17 offensive) edge, but the Mules countered that by committing just five turnovers.
* Colby seemed like it would on the way to an easy win after taking a 56-42 halftime lead. The Mules stretched that lead to 17 points about 30 seconds into the second half.
* The Eagles, though, kept rebounding and had improved defense over the final 20 minutes.
* Williams gave Colby a 96-95 lead on a driving layup with 1:18 to play, but Martin countered with a layup with 51 seconds left to put Husson up again. After a Mule miss, Corey Kaiser went 1-for-2 from the foul line for a 98-96 Eagle lead with 22 seconds remaining.
* Tucker score nine second later for the Mules to tie the game at 98. The Mules were called for a foul with 4.2 seconds remaining, but Husson missed the front end of a one-and-one.
* After a timeout, the Mules rushed the ball up the court and were fouled at half court. Husson had just three team fouls and Colby took the ball out on the side. After a Mule timeout, Tyson was the passer on the out of bounds play. Williams came all the way over from the other side of the court and received the ball. He took a few dribbles to his right and hit the running shot with two players in his face.
* Colby plays a NESCAC game at Amherst College on Friday at 7 p.m.
* Husson returns to Waterville to meet Thomas College on Friday at 5:30 p.m.