Sep 18, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College field hockey team went ahead early and had to battle a driving rain for much of the contest in a 10-0 win over University of Maine at Farmington on Tuesday at Bill Alfond Field.
The Mules improve to 3-2 overall, while the Beavers dropped to 1-4.
* Emily Hogan scored the eventual game-winning goal on a play that started from a penalty corner by Delaney Keithley. Georgia Cassidy had a hard shot that was saved, but Hogan was in front for the rebound goal.
* Myri Skodock scored the Mules' second goal on a play that began when Kate Burkett hit a long ball into the area. UMF goalie Grace DiMarco came way out of her net, only to have the ball squirt loose to Skodock for the shot into the empty goal.
* Cassidy hit in goal number three when she stuffed in a rebound after Skodock's shot was stopped by DiMarco. Cassidy had come in on the right baseline and pushed a pass to Skodock for the one-timer.
* Colby used the right baseline again when Eliza Mell stick-handled toward the right post. Her centering cross deflected off a UMF defender for a 4-0 margin.
* Cassidy came in on the right side for Colby's fifth goal. Her centering pass was ripped in by Skodock for her second of the contest.
* Merrill Read had the Mules' sixth goal on a nice individual effort. Read stick-handled all the way from midfield and smacked a hard shot into the upper right corner of the cage.
* Eleanor Fitzgerald added the seventh goal for the Mules and Elizabeth Brashich scored the final goals less than three minutes apart.
By the numbers
* The Mules had a 24-2 advantage in shots and a 6-1 margin in penalty corners.
* Riley Whitmyer had to make just one save for the shutout. DiMarco made eight saves.
* The Mules play at 18th-ranked Trinity College on Saturday at 11 a.m. Colby heads to Connecticut College for a 1 p.m. game Sunday.
* The Beavers play at Husson University on Saturday at 1 p.m.