Oct 21, 2018
BIDDEFORD, Maine -- The Colby College field hockey team capped off a big weekend by finishing unbeaten in non-conference play with a 2-0 victory over University of New England on Sunday.
The Mules went 5-0 in non-league play, but Sunday's contest was the best win of the five games. After beating 13th-ranked Hamilton College by a 1-0 score Saturday, the Mules earned another shutout against a UNE team receiving votes in the national poll.
* After battling to a 0-0 halftime tie, Colby's Emily Hogan scored her fifth goal of the season off a pass from Eliza Mell just 2:41 into the second half. Mell had a cross from the right side and Hogan was able to score past the shifting goalkeeper.
* The Mules (8-6 overall) scored about 10 minutes into the second half on a goal by Merel van Gijzen. She got away from defensive pressure and drove from the left side for the goal.
By the numbers
* Riley Whitmyer earned her second straight shutout with two saves. She ranks first in the league in total saves (108) and third in save percentage (.831).
* The Mules had an 11-4 shot advantage and the Nor'easters (10-8) had a 4-3 penalty corner margin.
* Colby will play at Bates College on Wednesday with a NESCAC playoff spot on the line for the second straight year. The winner earns the eighth seed and the loser is done for the year.