Posted: Oct 13, 2018
AMHERST, Mass. -- Despite 11 saves from Riley Whitmyer and a 1-0 lead in the closing minutes or regulation, the Colby College field hockey lost a tough 2-1 overtime NESCAC game to Amherst College on Saturday.
* Despite an Amherst statistical advantage, the Mules struck first off a Delaney Keithley penalty corner. She pushed the ball to Georgia Cassidy, who was positioned in her usual spot on the left side of the circle. Cassidy wound up and blasted a shot for her 11th goal of the season with 12:14 remaining.
* Amherst tied the game on a penalty corner with 1:27 left in regulation. Whitmyer made a stop on a shot from the top of the circle, but the ball trickled to the left. Laura Schwartzman, the inserter on the corner, was first to the ball and scored on a turnaround shot.
* The teams went to seven-on-seven play in overtime and the Mammoths won the game with 5:58 to play. Schwartzman had a hard shot from near the top of the circle that was tipped in by Franny Daniels.
By the numbers
* Whitmyer had 11 saves as the Mammoths (8-4 overall, 3-4 NESCAC) had a 19-5 shot advantage. Sarah Gaffney had two defensive saves and Merel van Gijzen was credited with one.
* Colby (6-6 overall, 2-6 NESCAC) plays host to Hamilton College next Saturday at noon.