Posted: Sep 16, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Colby College goalie Riley Whitmyer stopped 18 shots, but Williams College scored twice in each half in a 4-1 victory Saturday in the first game on the new Bill Alfond Field.
Libby Dolan had two goals and an assist for the 13th-ranked Ephs.
Williams moves to 3-0 overall and 2-0 in the league, while the Mules are 1-2 overall and 0-2 in the conference.
* The Ephs scored at 15:54 of the first half off a penalty corner. Hannah Goodrick took the corner and scored the goal. Alex Bennett's shot was deflected in the air and went directly to Goodrick, who batted a waist-high shot into the cage.
* Williams went up 2-0 at 28:16 of the opening half after Dolan's cross from the left side was one-timed by Wright.
* The Ephs scored two goals in a span of three minutes in the second half, with both coming off rebounds by Dolan. Emma Ticknor had a shot from the right side that Colby goalkeeper Riley Whitmyer stopped. However, Dolan was right next to her for the quick rebound. Bennett's turnaround shot from up top was stopped by Whitmyer, but Dolan was again there for the rebound goal at 53:14.
* The Mules scored with 1:20 left in the game on Meredith Keenan's rebound goal. Eliza Mell used some fine stick handling to get around two defenders and blasted a shot from outside the area. Williams goalkeeper Emma Santucci stopped the shot, but Keenan was there for the rebound.
By the numbers
* Whitmyer finished with 18 saves, including 11 stops in the opening half for Colby.
* Santucci earned the shutout with five saves, including four in the second half.
* The Ephs had a 29-13 advantage in shots and a 16-8 margin in penalty corners. The Mules, though, had a 12-11 shot margin in the second half.
Next on the schedule
* The Ephs play at 10th-ranked Bowdoin College at noon Sunday. The Polar Bears took a 6-0 win against Wesleyan on Saturday.
* Colby will host Connecticut College on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Camels fell 5-0 at Tufts University. The dedication of the new Bill Alfond Field and the new Colby Soccer Field will take place at 10 a.m.