BRUNSWICK, Maine – A day after beating sixth-ranked Amherst College, the Colby College field hockey team came up just short in a 2-1 setback at 17th-ranked Bowdoin College on Sunday.
The Mules had their four-game win streak snapped in falling to 9-4 overall and 4-4 in the league. Bowdoin moved to 7-5 overall and 4-4 in the league. Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, and Amherst all have 4-4 records in conference play.
* The Mules made it a one goal game early in the second half, scoring 8:23 into play. Lauren Walter directed a shot on net from low on the right that was initially denied by goaltender Maddie Ferrucci. Walter collected her own rebound and swept a hard shot into the back of the cage.
* Colby earned a penalty corner as time was expiring, but was unable to find an equalizer and force overtime.
* Sarah Jane Weill and Maggie Ford had first-half goals for the Polar Bears. Ford's goal came off a penalty corner.
By the numbers
* Colby goaltender Riley Whitmyer made six saves, while Ferrucci stopped five shots.
* The Polar Bears had a slight 12-10 edge in penalty corners and a 15-10 margin in shots.
Next on the schedule
* The Mules make the long road trip to Hamilton College (5-4 NESCAC) on Saturday at noon.