Posted: Mar 23, 2019
AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- Andrew Russell went 4-for-5, belted a home run, and scored three times for the Colby College baseball team in a 13-3 season-opening win over Thomas College on Saturday in Florida.
The Mules (1-0 overall) will play a doubleheader starting at 10:45 a.m. Sunday against University of Minnesota at Morris. Colby head coach Jesse Woods earned his first collegiate coaching win.
By the numbers
* Russell had a solo homer in the second inning for Colby's first run of the season. He led off the four-run fourth inning with a double and then started the fifth inning with a single to help the Mules score three more runs.
* Jackson Ward tripled among his three hits, while Will Phillips (pictured) added two hits. Colby catchers Ryan Hecht and Jonah Katz combined for two hits and two runs. Dylan Nastri and Chris Romano both walked twice and Matt Mitchell had one hit and scored a run.
* Brooks Parker came in the game in the third inning and pitched the fourth for the victory. Charlie Jodka, a first-year, allowed just two hits over two innings and Alex Wieder pitched the seventh inning.
* The Terriers scored a lone run in the first and added their other two runs in the third to take a 3-1 lead.
* The Mules went ahead for good with five runs in the fourth inning, three more in the fifth, another three in the sixth, and a lone run in the seventh inning.