Apr 28, 2018
AMHERST, Mass. -- The Colby College women's lacrosse team battled back from four goals down to tie the game at 8-8, but second-seeded Amherst College settled down and went on to a 17-11 victory in a NESCAC quarterfinal game Saturday.
The 16th-ranked and seventh-seeded Mules, the defending NESCAC champions, finished the season at 9-7. The second-seeded Mammoths (15-1) move on to the NESCAC Final Four at Middlebury College next Saturday.
By the numbers
* Colby's top scorers did come up with 10 of the 11 goals. Sasha Fritts (pictured) had four goals to finish her career with 132 goals and 21 assists for 153 points. Kendall Smith and Emma Banks both had three goals. Smith closes out her career with 126 goals and 42 assists for 168 points.
* Grace Crowell had the other goal for the Mules. Robyn Pirie had three assists and Bridget Horwood added two assists.
* Julia Crerend had four goals to lead the Mammoths.
* Melinda Edie led the Mules defense with four caused turnovers and four ground balls. Fritts added three caused turnovers, three draws, and one ground ball.
* The Mules trailed 8-4 in the second half, but scored four goals in a span of 2 minutes, 39 seconds to tie the game. Fritts scored twice, Smith scored unassisted, and Banks tallied off a free-position shot.
* Amherst had a 3-0 scoring run in a span of 2:31 to go up 11-8 with 16:06 left in the contest.
* Smith scored from Horwood with 14:58 to play and Fritts added an unassisted score with 13:57 remaining to cut the lead to 11-10. After Amherst scored with 9:00 remaining, the Mules had their last goal from Crowell on a free-position shot with 7:50 to play.
* The Mammoths scored five goals in the final 4:28 to pull away for good.