Apr 17, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Taylor Moore and Sasha Fritts both had four goals for the 16th-ranked Colby College women's lacrosse team in a 16-2 non-conference win over University of Southern Maine on Tuesday at Bill Alfond Field.
The Mules, playing at home for the final time this season, are 8-5 overall heading into Saturday's 7 p.m. showdown at Trinity College. Colby beat the Bantams in the championship game to win the NESCAC title last year.
By the numbers
* Fritts went past 40 goals and is up to a team-best 42. Emma Banks also had four points on the day with three goals and one assist.
* Banks Dotson had two goals and one assist for the Mules, while teammate Lyla Jones had one goal and two assists. Grace Langmuir added three assists.
* McGara DeWan and Shannon Groskoph also had goals for the Mules. Kelsey Bowen and Bridget Horwood each had one assist.
* Colby senior captain Sam Burch played the opening half and made three saves. She then recorded her first collegiate assist in the second half. Hannah Marino played the second half in goal for Colby and made two stops.
* Colleen Fleming had one goal and one assist to lead the Huskies (7-5 overall). Allison Irish had the other goal, while Aliza Jordan dished one assist.
* Groskoph added five ground balls, three draw controls, and three caused turnovers for the Mules. Kelsey Otley and Fritts both had two caused turnovers. Dotson was second in ground balls with four, while Langmuir had four draw controls to get her season total to 28.
* Fleming had three ground balls, three draw controls, and two caused turnovers for the Huskies. Megan Violette, Morgan Eliasen, Cindy Hoang, and goalie Hala Van Nostrand all had two caused turnovers. Eliasen had three ground balls and Jordan had two draws.
* Mariah Vaillancourt played the second half in goal for USM and stopped seven shots, while Van Nostrand made four saves in the opening half.
* Fritts and Banks scored the first seven goals of the game to give Colby the lead just 13 minutes into the contest. Moore added three straight goals to make it 10-0 as the Mules took a 12-0 lead at intermission.
* Colby substituted liberally throughout the game and played 29 players.
* The Mules had a 31-14 edge in shots, 35-19 in ground balls, and 13-6 in draw controls.
Photos by Ashley Conti