Dec 08, 2018
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Colby College men's basketball team had five players in double figures in scoring to overcome a tough place to play in an 86-69 win over Bates College at Alumni Gym in non-conference play Saturday.
The Mules are 8-2 overall and 2-0 in Colby-Bates-Bowdoin (CBB) play after winning on the road against Bowdoin earlier this season. Both of the NESCAC games will be played at Colby.
By the numbers
* Colby's Sean Gilmore finished with 20 points on 9-for-13 shooting and added three assists. Wallace Tucker was 6-of-9 from the field, 2-for-3 from 3-point range, and made both of his free throws in scoring 16 points while dishing four assists.
* Matt Hanna had a fine all-around game with 13 points, six rebounds, three assists, and three steals for Colby. Noah Tyson had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds (9 defensive). Sam Jefferson added 11 points and eight rebounds.
* Colby guard Devin Davis had his first collegiate start and contributed six points, three rebounds, and one blocked shot.
* Jeff Spellman led Bates with 18 points, six rebounds, and four assists.
* The Mules helped their own cause by committing just nine turnovers.
* The Bobcats (2-7 overall) opened up a 9-0 lead and had the crowd on their side at the tight Alumni Gym. However, the Mules settled down and took their first lead at 13-12 when Jefferson hit a 3-point shot. Colby led 33-32, but Bates used a 6-2 run to take a 38-35 halftime margin.
* Bates had its last lead of the game at 45-43, but the Mules used a 9-0 run to go up 52-45. Davis had all six of his points during the run.
* With the score 54-48, Ty Williams (pictured, 4 assists) and Tyson nailed back-to-back 3-point shots for a 60-45 margin.
* Colby is off until it opens NESCAC play with a key home weekend on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 4-5. The Mules entertain Tufts University at 7 p.m. Friday and then get another game with Bates on Saturday.