Oct 11, 2017
WATERVILLE, Maine -- The Colby College field hockey team won for the fifth straight time on the new Bill Alfond Field after Wednesday night's 4-0 victory over University of Maine at Farmington.
The Mules improve to 8-3 overall, winning for the third straight time. Maine-Farmington dropped to 5-7 overall. Colby finished 5-0 in non-conference games.
* Georgia Cassidy scored her 13th and 14th goals of the season to put the Mules up 2-0. Kallie Hutchinson had the assist on the first goal when her pass found Cassidy near the top of the circle. Cassidy took a few dribbles into the circle and ripped a low shot for the score. The second goal started off a penalty corner, with Cassidy winning a battle in front for the ball and smacking in a close shot.
* Merel van Gijzen scored her third of the season with 4:28 left in the first half. She stick-handled into the circle and ripped a backhand shot for a 3-0 margin.
* The Mules added another insurance goal just 30 seconds into the second half. Eleanor Fitzgerald scored her second goal from right in front after taking a short pass from Meredith Keenan.
By the numbers
* The Mules had a 21-10 shot advantage and the two teams were tied 7-7 in penalty corners.
* Colby goalie Riley Whitmyer (pictured) recorded her fifth shutout of the season with seven of her eight saves in the second half. Besides her goal, van Gijzen also had a defensive save in the second half.
* Alyssa Arsenault also played well in the cage with 12 stops for UMF.
* Cassidy finished with six shots on goal for the Mules, while Andrea Stemm had four shots on goal for the Beavers.
Next on the schedule
* Colby puts its home field winning streak on the line against eighth-ranked Amherst College on Saturday at 11 a.m.
* The Beavers play at Colby-Sawyer College on Saturday at noon.