Apr 13, 2018
WATERVILLE, Maine -- Despite a two-run homer from Colby College's Matt Garcia, Matt Koperniak went 5-for-5 and hit for the cycle to lift the Trinity College baseball team to a 12-2 win in NESCAC East play Friday.
The Bantams (10-10 overall, 5-2 NESCAC East) and the Mules (4-13, 1-3 NESCAC East) will play a doubleheader Saturday at noon.
By the numbers
* Garcia (pictured) hit a two-run home run for the Mules in the bottom of the seventh inning.
* Jackson Ward doubled among his two hits and Keenan Iuliano also had two hits. William Wessman doubled for Colby.
* Koperniak, who came into the game ranked sixth in the NESCAC in hitting, had a home run, triple, a double, and two singles. He drove in three runs, scored four times, and stole two bases.
* Tyler Buckley added two hits, two runs, and drove in two runs for the Bantams.
* Trinity's Erik Mohl worked 6.1 innings to earn the victory, striking out four and walking none. Andrew DeRoche went 1.2 innings and Colby Fortin worked the ninth, with neither pitcher allowing a run.
* The Bantams scored three runs in the top of the first to take control. Alex Rodriguez had a bases loaded walk and Orsini had a two-run double to right field to bring in Mooney and Koperniak.
* Trinity scored lone runs in the third and fourth inning. Vultaggio had a triple to right center to bring in Carter Snyder in the third, while Mooney's double to right plated Koperniak with the fifth run.
* The Bantams scored five times in the top of the seventh inning. Tyler Buckley smacked a two-run single, Koperniak had a two-run double, and Mooney added an RBI double.
* After Colby's Will Phillips singled with one out in the seventh, Garcia hit his home run to left center to make it a 10-2 game.
* Geoff Stillman had an RBI single in the eighth inning for Trinity's 11th run. Koperniak, needing a home run for the cycle, smacked a long ball to right center in the ninth inning.