History of the Mule
The history of the nickname Mules dates back to Armistice Day in 1923 when the football team played host to Bates College. The editor of the Echo, Colby's student newspaper, published an editorial about making the nickname the White Mules.
After reading editor Joe Smith’s piece, a group of students located a white mule on a Kennebec farm and borrowed the animal for the Bates game. Dressed in blue and grey, the mule (see above photo) was placed at the head of the band and student body as they marched onto the field.
Colby took a 9-6 win over Bates that day and the nickname stuck. The nickname was shortened to Mules in 2002.